Job Opening: Sr Attorney
SENIOR ATTORNEY GREENLAW
GreenLaw is a Georgia-based 501(c)(3) law firm serving the environmental community. The Senior Attorney will support efforts for GreenLaw to ensure that every Georgian has the right to breathe clean air, drink clean water, live in healthy communities and enjoy our state’s natural beauty. GreenLaw is currently seeking a passionate individual dedicated to these issues to serve as Senior Attorney.
The Senior Attorney, working with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director, and staff, provides legal advice and interpretation to GreenLaw’s clients on state and federal environmental regulatory requirements; works in conjunction with Georgia’s environmental community to craft legislation to protect the environment; and leads litigation as appropriate on behalf of those clients to enforce state and federal laws.
The Senior Attorney also leads and coordinates the work of internal and external legal staff, and develops and maintains relationships with clients, relevant organizations, and community stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have a strong legal background coupled with excellent client relations skills and environmental acumen. To be successful in this role, the Senior Attorney relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity, strategic thinking and flexibility is expected. We are looking for a committed and creative problem solver who works with clients to resolve issues.
Applicants must possess a juris doctor (JD) from an accredited law school with at least 5 years of experience as an attorney and be admitted into the State Bar of Georgia. S/he should be familiar with environmental law concepts, practices, and procedures. While not a requirement, preference will be given to applicants with a strong environmental law background and subject matter expertise, including statutes, and regulations. NOTE: specific experience with air or energy matters is helpful.
Because the applicant will be stepping into existing casework and litigation, the successful candidate must be able to handle disputed matters as soon as possible.
The Senior Attorney will
- Work with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to coordinate legal work in support of GreenLaw’s mission.
- Assume an existing caseload of environmental matters, including those focusing on air and energy issues.
- Develop and maintain relationships with clients and organizations.
- Synthesize legal research and analysis into a coherent written memorandum or brief for submission to a client, court or arbitrator.
- Appear in a court of law, arbitration or other judicial tribunal on behalf of clients, as well as presenting well-reasoned arguments to the judicial body.
- Analyze and summarize complicated legal documents, including contracts, and suggest alterations to those documents.
- Perform discovery of various electronically stored data and hard copies of information in preparation for litigation.
- Negotiate with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes, including settlement conferences.
- Anticipate and mitigate potential legal problems within the firm or for a client, and develop strategies to avoid litigation and reduce potential areas of risk.
- Responsibilities also include some aspects of supervising and coordinating the efforts of a legal team, including budget and legal practice area management and case assignment, as well as the hiring and professional development of staff.
Minimum of 5 years of professional experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities outlined above.
The selected candidate will
- Possess a juris doctor (JD) from an accredited law school with at least 5 years of experience as an attorney and be admitted into the State Bar of Georgia.
- Be familiar with environmental law concepts, practices, and procedures. While not a requirement, preference will be given to applicants with a strong environmental law background, and subject matter expertise in environmental law, statutes, and regulations; specific experience with air or energy matters is helpful.Have excellent client relations skills.
- Be a passionate and persuasive leader with the ability to work with diverse groups of people and engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Have strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Exhibit strong strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Be able to step into existing casework and litigation, and handle disputed matters as soon as possible.
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
GreenLaw is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter along with a resume and list of references to: David M. Paule, Executive Director, GreenLaw, State Bar of Georgia Building, 104 Marietta St. NW, Suite 430, Atlanta, Georgia 30303. Applications can also be submitted electronically to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis after January 23, 2017 until the position is filled.